sorrow found me when I was young

>> Saturday, May 15, 2010

For May book club we're reading Flesh and Blood by Michael Cunningham. I don't think it's the most inspired title (it's a multi-generational family drama...can you tell?), so I thought it was odd that his acknowledgments included a thank-you to the friend who came up with it.

Anyway, the first thing that really caught me about this book was that the first paragraph of the second chapter:

"'It's some kind of night, isn't it'? Mary said. Constantine couldn't answer. Her courage and beauty, the pale straight-spined fact of her, caught in his throat. He sat on her parents' swing, which creaked, and watched helplessly as she leaned over the porch railing. Her skirt whisked against her legs. The dark New Jersey wind played in her hair."
Now what does that remind you of...
How about this:

The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays
Roy Orbison's singing for the lonely
Hey, that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again, I just can't face myself alone again.

And we can assume that scene also takes place in New Jersey because it was written by Bruce Springsteen.

Anyway, I'm not nearly done the book but since the whole thing so far reminds me of a lot of Springsteen themes (second generation American family life, New Jersey, 'the American dream', girls, cars, etc.) I thought I'd make a playlist.

Ricky Wants a Man of Her Own
Spirit in the Night
Pink Cadillac
The Promised Land
It's Hard to be a Saint in the City
The Fever
Lost in the Flood
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Adam Raised a Cain
Mansion on the Hill
Factory
Johnny 99
Used Cars
A Good Man is Hard to Find (Pittsburgh)
Candy's Room
Racing in the Streets
Cross My Heart
All That Heaven Will Allow
Prove it All Night
No Surrender
Where the Bands Are
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)


I've deliberately left off the bigger songs. This list tends towards the first two albums, Tracks, Nebraska, and Darkness on the Edge of Town, all of which I highly recommend.

Oh, and I recommend the book, too. Springsteen references aside (and that could just be me picking up on that), he's an excellent writer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

this here ma blog.

I like to talk about things I have no particular expertise in. Especially music.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP